Spiced Apple Crisp
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
4 cups of sliced apple, leave the skin on some ( I used a combo of Cortland & Empire apples as they hold up when baked)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp arrowroot starch (alternative to corn starch for thickening) - find it here!
1 cup millet flour (I ground up whole millet kernels in my coffee grinder to create the flour. Millet helps to make this real crispy)
1 cup gluten-free oats
1/4 maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wash a few apples, peel the skin off half of them and leave the skin on the other half. Slice up the apples. Add to a medium sized bowl and stir in the rest of the filling ingredients.
- In a baking dish, spread out the apple filling evenly throughout.
- For the topping, combine all ingredients and stir. Don't forget to melt the coconut oil before mixing in. You should have a thick topping with a slight liquid consistency. Not quite cookie dough.
- Spread the topping evenly over the apple filling, ensuring the corners are covered.
- Place dish on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until bubbling and top has turned slightly golden brown.
- Once baked, let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve by itself, with homemade coconut whip or with vanilla ice cream of choice.