Leek & Tomato Quiche with Crispy Sweet Potato Crust
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Grain-Free
1 1/2 peeled sweet potato (or whatever it takes to create a layered crust), thinly sliced
2 leeks, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tomato, chopped
6 eggs (local, organic, free range)
1/2 cup homemade cashew milk
Himalayan sea salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 tbsp Sage
2 tbsp olive oil
Coconut Oil (to lightly grease the baking dish)
Pie Dish - I used a 9.5" glass dish
- Thinly slice peeled sweet potato. You just need enough to cover the bottom and sides as shown in my first post. You may have to cut more once you start laying down the pieces or modify their shape to fit nicely. I cut the side pieces into half moon shapes.
- Dice your tomato and set aside.
- Oil the baking dish, place the sweet potato pieces. Cover all cracks with SP. Some liquid will leech out in the cooking process, but ensure covered well to have a clear crust defined.
- Wash the leeks, sometimes there's dirt hiding between the leaves so be sure to wash well. Only use the light green to white part, chop off the leaves and bulb (bottom of the leek).
- Slice the leeks in half lengthwise, then slice each half into crescents.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Toss in garlic, leeks, salt and pepper and sauté until leeks start to slightly brown. Remove from heat and spread the cooked leeks over the sweet potato crust evenly. Set aside.
- To make the liquid, crack 6 eggs into a bowl with 1/2 cup of cashew milk and whisk until fully incorporated. Add in a pinch of salt, pepper, sage and the tomato. Stir gently. Pour the liquid mixture over the SP crust, yes it's going to ooze through but don't worry it'll be amazing still!
- Place your quiche on a baking sheet, so it's easier to move and place in the oven. Cook for 45-55min - or until the egg is set and cooked. The top and crust will be nice and crispy. Once out of the oven, let sit for 5-10 min before you eat.