Carrot, Apple & Coconut Muffins
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
Makes 12 muffins
1 1/2 flax eggs (1tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water - mix together and let sit for 5-10 min, until gloopy)
1/4 cup organic virgin coconut oil, melted
1 apple (I used an Ambrosia) , finely grated
1 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup ripe mashed banana
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain coconut milk, unsweetened
2/3 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + some for sprinkling on top of the muffins
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- In a medium bowl, add the flax egg, mashed banana, coconut sugar, coconut oil. Mix well.
- Add in the apple, cinnamon, baking soda, salt. Mix to combine.
- Add in the coconut milk & vanilla extract, stir. Add in the carrot, stir.
- Add in the coconut flour, rice flour, oats and shredded coconut, stir.
- Fill your muffin liners evenly with batter, pretty much to the top. They won't be rising too much.
- Sprinkle with the extra shredded coconut.
- Bake for 32-34 minutes or till browned. Use a toothpick to check for gooey batter or push down on the top and if they spring back, they should be good. Remember these are moist muffins!
- Let sit in the muffin tin for 15-20 min minutes to cool. Then pull out onto a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze them up for a later date!