Self Care Tips To Keep The Cold Bug Away!
Well the cold and flu season is upon us, I hear people coughing and blowing their little noses constantly. This is when I TRY to avoid public transit and even the mall, its just so gross sometimes!
Over the past 4 years, I have definitely managed to keep my immune system strong and avoid most of the bugs out there. If I do get a little sniffle, I can usually get rid of it pretty quickly.
GIVE ME THESE TIPS MIYA!
I have put together a little list of things that I do to help keep me feeling pretty fine during the dark, chilly months of winter. Cause I see you sitting there right now with a dripping dry, red nose needing some help ♡
Mind & Body
- SLEEP - Sometimes it just doesn't seem obvious and OH BOY have I been guilty of forgetting about this one myself. Sleep is the time when your body can relax and work on healing, repairing, etc...Some people also need more sleep, so when your body is telling you to sleep, do it! Staying up until the wee hours of the morning watching Netflix doesn't count as sleep. I feel most optimal when I get 8+ hours of sleep, especially in the winter.
- EXERCISE, YOGA, RESTORATIVE CLASSES - Get the blood flowing in some way! Whether its running, walking or hot yoga classes, movement helps with circulation and it also helps boost our serotonin levels to keep us feeling happy when there is no sunshine in sight.
- MEDITATION - Stress, anxiety and fear can all contribute to illness. A daily meditation practice can help you ease the mind and body and bring you back to present. It can help you to normalize your breathing, which can get a tad out of whack when you are stressed or experiencing anxiety. Find some FREE guided meditations on Gabby Bernstein's site if you need some assistance getting started.
- GET OUTSIDE - Okay I struggled to even type this one, because yes I don't like going out into the cold. In fact, I hate it. Yes, I used that strong word hate lol. BUT I do force myself out, because you need fresh (not so fresh in the city), non re-circulated air. Getting outside can also help relieve stress and anxiety. Getting into nature can be extremely calming and healing for certain individuals (it is for me). It allows you to reconnect.
- EAT NOURISHING FOOD - CUT THE CRAP and put some vegetables in your mouth lol! Feed yourself real food that contains nutrients, whole foods are your first line of defence to keep you feeling your best! Check out the FREE recipes on my site or grab a copy of my winter recipes ebook to help you ♡.
- CUT BACK ON THE SUGAR - Sugar suppresses your immune system...BAD BAD NEWS...AND if you want to read more into the PROBLEM with sugar, check out this new article from Josh Gitalis - Sugar and Cancer: What's the Link?
- CUT BACK ON CAFFEINE - Coffee for instance, does deplete your body of certain vitamins and minerals such as iron, magnesium and calcium. We need those! Healthy swaps so you ain't on the coffee train everyday or all day - Matcha and mushroom elixirs from Four Sigmatic (use promo code "BETOBLOSSOM" to save 10%).
Tinctures, supplements and tricks!
- TEA made with fresh ginger, lemon juice, raw honey + Turmeric - Will always be a staple in my household. Oh the anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antioxidant and vitamin C benefits found in these ingredients is just powerful! If you have a tickle in your throat or are already at the sore throat stage, this tea will become your bestie. To get the most out of the ginger, grate fresh ginger and add to water after it has boiled. Let steep for 5-10 min before adding the other ingredients.
- HOMEMADE BROTH - Veggie or bone broth is extremely healing with you are feeling under the weather or almost at that point. All nutrients are released into the liquid, so it can be some powerful, healing stuff. See my blog post on making your own broth. Have a cup of broth or add to nourishing soups, stews.
- ORGANIC ELDERBERRY SYRUP - Elderberries are extremely rich in antioxidants and can provide relief from cold & flu, cough and sore throat. They have also added a few other key ingredients like echinacea and honey to make it even more powerful. This stuff does not taste awful like Buckley's, it tastes AMAZING! Like sweet berries. I have been using this syrup for 2 years now and boy has it kept colds away and helped get rid of them quickly! Honestly, this is one of my absolute favourite natural products, I always have a bottle in my fridge or you could make it yourself if you can get your hands on some elderberries. This is the brand I have been using for awhile now, love their products and Canadian made.
- HIGH QUALITY MULTIVITAMIN - I have been taking a high quality, bioavailable (meaning your body can actually take and absorb the nutrients in the product), pharmaceutical grade multi for 4 years now. We cannot get everything from our food anymore and many of us cannot even absorb nutrients properly, so its smart to take one of these daily. Here is the multivitamin that I take.
- PROBIOTIC - Protecting our gut and giving it a whole lotta love is SO necessary when it comes to just about everything! If your gut ain't healthy and happy, chances are the rest of you isn't feeling too good. You gut is very much involved in the strength of your immune system. Be sure to eat probiotic rich foods such as fermented foods eg. coconut kefir/yogurt, kimchi and sauerkraut. You can also take a daily live bacteria probiotic or take it for periods of time based on your needs. There are many brands out there, but be sure to do your research and don't buy based on what's cheap and on sale.
- VITAMIN D - The sunshine vitamin! Yes, you can get vitamin D from the sun...well us Canadians miss out on sunshine for several months, so other options are necessary. You can find vitamin D in mushrooms, local free-range eggs and fatty fish like salmon. Taking a vitamin D supplement is pretty much a no brainer for those that live in the north. I use and recommend this product.
- VITAMIN C - You can get this vitamin from whole foods! Did you know that a red bell pepper contains more vitamin C than an orange? Vitamin C is found in a lot of food which is great, some other great sources are pineapple, cauliflower, kale, broccoli, kiwi, strawberries and brussel sprouts. Sometimes when we are sick or feel a cold coming on, you need higher does of vitamin C and thats where having vitamin C supplements on hand is smart. Another 2 products from the same company, I use their Vitamin C and Proflavanol C (this one is a combo of Vitamin C and grapeseed extract - rich in antioxidants, may help protect the collagen in your skin...ummm yes! and it has other amazing benefits as well).
These are just a few of my favourite cold hacks, some of which came all the way from my childhood! If you have any faves, share them in the comments below!
Fingers crossed that we all keep the cold bug away!
The material appearing on this site, betoblossom.com, is provided for informational purposes only. As with all health & wellness information, always consult your professional healthcare providers before beginning any new treatment or program. The information on this website is not intended to serve as medical advice and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of a health problem or disease. This website is not a substitute for professional medical care. The owners of this website and its affiliates assume no responsibility or liability for any consequence resulting directly or indirectly from any action or inaction you take based on the information found on or material linked to on this site.
If you need medical advice, you should hire a licensed health care provider or other medical professional.
Some links that I provide to a specific product, service or program may be an affiliate link where I earn a commission based on a sale. Any products, services, programs/courses that I provide a link to are ones that I support 100%, use or have completed myself.
Affiliate programs that I am a part of include Mabrook & Co. and Four Sigmatic.